Thursday, February 19, 2009

Keepin Him First.


So, this past week I have been trying to keep God #1. I have thought of a few ways that are helping me do that and I thought I would share.

1. If you are doing something God called you to do, do it as an act of worship.
If your doing a job, volunteering, or maybe going to school to get a degree in a field that God wants you in, don’t do the task out of obligation or necessity. See it for what it is. Obedience to God and an act of worship. Like me, I have a heavy load this semester and it’s beginning to wear me out! But instead of looking at my school work as something necessary to get me where God wants me, I started looking at it as an act of worship. By staying in school, I’m being faithful to God, and in a way, worshiping Him at the same time.
2. Keep in close contact with fellow believers.
If you want to keep God first then you MUST keep in constant contact with people who are likeminded. I’m not saying shut yourself away from the world, but keep your feet grounded with people who will support you and understand. Having friends that I can talk to, even if it’s not about God, has made keeping Him first so much easier. It’s just a different type of conversation with a believer then a nonbeliever.
3. KEEP IN THE WORD!!!!!!!!!! It’s pretty self-explanatory. But maybe do more then just read it. Meditate on it. I’m dong one of the many “bible in a year” plans. A change I plan on making is re-reading every scripture before I go to bed. I want the scripture to be the first and last thing I think about every day. Keeping my mind on His word will keep my heart on Him.
4. Pray for others.
Praying for other keeps my mind on Him as well. Sometimes I think more so then when I pray for myself (which is still very important and not to be neglected). But when I pray for others, sometimes it feels deeper. I can’t really explain it.
5. Look for opportunities to praise Him.
When something good happens in your life, praise God for it! All good things come from Him, so being more purposeful about thanking Him for all He does will keep your mind on Him as well. When you look for Him in life, we find Him.
So that’s all for now. Do you have any tips or tricks that keep you focused on the Lord?

1 comment:

  1. 1. is HUGE to me... because I think we tend to compartmentalize and separate our "joblife" from our "churchlife" and don't let the two meet... but how much we could accomplish if we did!!! love love LOVE this post........... LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete